Resurrection
Obviously this didn’t work out too well when I started this
last January, so rather than do something different, lets try doing the exact
same thing again (the definition of insanity, right?)
A bit of follow up on the last post on my Tuscobia
times. The race can be summed up in two
words: Killed It!. With warm weather, I
anticipated a slow race, and times that exceeded 30 hours. Came in just over 27 hours and felt
great. It was an amazing race and I met
a lot of great people. For my first over
night ultra by myself, it was a huge success.
The Arrowhead…not so much.
Did really well for most the race, but by mile 100, I was in pretty
rough shape and dropped. Ended up
straining the tendons in my feet, and had a new level of swelling and
pain. Huge hat tip to my race partner
The Angry Moose, for continuing on and pulling a finish at 57 hours. It was amazing to see him come across the
finish line.
So, on to the other stuff.
The Arrowhead was my last race, and in the time between then and now, I
worked to much and didn’t work out enough.
I have been in pretty bad shape, and have physically felt kind of
horrible. I adopted many of the typical
bad habits during a high stress, high work event which included little sleep,
liquid crutches (both to keep me awake and to put me asleep), horrible food,
and not challenging myself outside of work.
Things have now settled down at work, which is allowing me to focus back
to issues that I tried to start the year with: spiritual, mental and physical
health. So that is what I am going to
do.
To continue on my journey, I have committed to a couple of
things. First, for the last 6 months I
have been singing in a the choir at a local Episcopal church. This has provided me with an amazing place to
build upon my spiritual health from A) the act of singing (which has always
been a spiritual experience for me, both secular and non-secular), and B) being
part of a community that is all about discussion, scholarship and facilitation. The folks that I have interacted with have
been amazing and have provided me with a ton of resources and conversations to
help me explore different beliefs.
Also, I have signed up for 2 races to help kickstart my
fitness routine. I have a half marathon
in little more than 3 weeks (eek) and am doing the WD100k again this fall in
October. My goal is to survive the half
marathon, but I really want to rock the 100k.
Shooting for a 15 hour completion, which means I need to kick it into
gear. I restarted riding my bike to
work, and am trying to run 5 of 7 days a week.
Goal is to hit distance fast.
Still struggling on the food front, but am trying to cut certain guilty
pleasures out (cheese quesadillas for example), and really need to reduce alcohol
consumption further.
Mentally, still trying to figure that one out. Thought about brushing up on my French, and
Danish? Piano and Trumpet? Woodworking?
Not really sure. Will definitely
post when I figure that one out.
So here I go. Lets
see if this will stick this time. TTFN
No comments:
Post a Comment